Monday, January 7, 2008

Mantras - Can they work?

Last WI: 221.6/Morning WI: 222.8

MONDAY

Well it's a new week and I haven't done much on the "new years resolution front". It's January 7 and I've really not accomplished much yet. This is supposed to be when people are most motivated, right? Well last night, on my way home from a friend's house, I created a new "mantra" for myself. Well, it's not new, but new to me. The theory is, before I make any health/weight/food related decision I ask the question: What's more important. I.e. What's more important, this meal or being thin? What's more important, watching this TV program or being thin (and working out). Last night it worked. I got home at about 8:30 and hit the treadmill for 30 minutes. Ran a total of 2 miles, walked .5 and burned 425 calories. Not bad. Then I drank lots of water before going to sleep about midnight. So today, for breakfast - I asked the question, and then settled on a 4 point breakfast bar, rather than chick-fil-a on the way in. So far so good. 12 hours in and it's working. Now, will it last? Who knows.

I've come to realize that all losing weight is, is finding the 'tricks' that work. We all have different ones. What motivates one person doesn't another. For me, I just have to find those that work. The first time I did WW it was the newness of it, the calculating (I'm OCD) and the game. Now I've come to the point where I'm too good at cheating. I WI in the morning, see a lower number than I deserve and feel it gives me the justification to eat too much that day. I know I can earn APs at home, so I over-eat during the day "planning" on hitting the treadmill, then I don't. Things like that. No more can I rely on the 'game' because I've instituted cheating into it. (kinda like baseball these days, eh?)

So, now I'm going to try the mantra. I'm still going to do WW because it's a good check for making sure I'm eating enough (surprisingly when I'm "ON" that's an issue) and that I'm not over-estimating things. I just have to make a million little decisions that ultimately boil down to one big one - I'm doing something about this!

On other issues, we went house hunting this weekend and I fell in love with a house on Saturday that I found out on Sunday was under contract. Of course. It's definitely not a bad thing, though because technically I was a bit more than I wanted to spend. So maybe I can be happy with something else. I had a "second favorite" that both Erik and I liked that's still on the table. We're set to look at a bunch more this weekend, so here's hoping.

Other than that, today is a busy day at work. 3 meetings and lots to do.

Hoping for a good day!

No comments:

SEARCH

Google