Friday, January 4, 2008

House hunting

Last WI: 221.6/At Home WI: 224.0 (beer is evil)

FRIDAY

Well, I finally have work to do. YEAH! Funny how I'm wanting work, being that I'm such a lazy bum. But when my job is on the line (billing is how we're evaluated in part) then I care.

So last night, Erik and I talked about the house shopping issue. I'm really torn about what to do here. As I think I've mentioned, we will be kicked out of our house early this year. Now it's looking like first of April is the likely deadline. That gives me January and February to find a house (considering a 30 day closing). So I'm looking. And I'm frustrated. We found, what we thought, were some great houses back before the holidays. Turns out, it's a gang ridden area. Who knew? So, obviously that's out. Now we're debating between buying intown or OTP (outside the perimeter, as they say locally). There's pluses and minuses to both. Intown is closer to my work, so minimizes my commute. Typically, I work more hours, so this balances things out as he will still likely get home around the same time even with his 45 minute commute. But, his son's mother lives outside the perimeter, sort of near Erik's work, and obviously they split custody a lot. So that's a pain. Also, all my friends are down south of ATL. Granted, I can make new friends, and make an effort to see the old ones, but it's a factor. Of course in-town you get much less house for your money too.

Oddly, Erik is pushing in-town. Which is really weird because he hates traffic, and hates big cities. I keep saying I'm willing to commute if he wants to live suburbs, but he keeps saying no - it'll be easier for you if we live in-town. Odd. I figured I'd be begging for in-town, he'd be pushing suburbs. Instead it's the opposite.

Also, now that we're on a semi-short time frame, and we can really only look on the weekends, I'm ready to start looking. NOW. As in this weekend. But my realtor, whom I made an appointment with before the holidays to look at houses tomorrow, is not responding to my emails. Doesn't she realize in this market, she should be falling all over me? I mean really, how many eager buyers are out there? And I'm a sure thing. I WILL be buying something in the next 3 months. She's got till the end of today then I'm looking for someone else. I know several people who would love my business. It's just odd because this isn't like her. She was very helpful and eager before the holidays. We'll see I guess.

Other than that, all is well. I need to get cracking on the nice little work-out plan I mapped out yesterday...

No comments:

SEARCH

Google