Wednesday, January 7, 2009

New Year, New Chances, Same old Goals...

Morning WI: 242.4

Well, I'm back. And I had a "holiday gain" like some many other people. Then I had a "resolution" like so many other people. But this time, I'm trying something a little different, in the hopes that it works. I'm having a CHALLENGE. Not just a personal goal, blah blah, that I can ignore and say "oh darn, I didn't do it". But a BET. With my brother - probably the person I love the most and am the most competitive with (it's a close call between him and my husband).

So, here's how it all went down. Over Christmas my cute but rotund brother stated that he and his wifey are going to start a serious diet on Jan. 5. I agreed I should join up and that maybe we should keep up with each other.

Then, this weekend I had a brilliant idea. Why not make it a game? Why not make it a challenge to see who can do the best on their weight loss goals? So - I bet my brother $100 that I can lose more weight (percentage wise) than he can in the next 4 months. If neither of us loses at least 10% of our body weight by then (May 4) the bets off, but if one or both of us does, the highest percentage gets $100. We weigh in and report weekly on Mondays.

My first weigh in was 244.8 lbs. (blah!) His was 300 flat. Unfortunately we live 3 states apart so we'll have to trust each other on the numbers, but he's got a wife there to keep him in check, and I have a husband so hopefully no cheating will ensue.

I don't konw if it will work. And I don't know how much I can lose in 4 months. I realistically shooting for 25 lbs, but I'd be thrilled with 30-40. We'll see. It has been fun teasing each other and threating to send a pizza to each other's houses. Today I posted a big picture of a Krystal chili-cheese pup on his facebook site to taunt him. I only do this because I know it will really motivate him more (we're both HIGHLY competitive.)

So that's where we are. I'm down a couple pounds since Monday but as we all know the first few days are easy. I'm still going to weigh in at Weight Watchers weekly on Thursdays to keep up with the new plan which I'm using to do this, and have some mid-week accountability. I hopefully with 2 weigh-in days a week I'll not go on crazy 3 day binges like I have in the past.

Here's hoping it works. Me and the other billion resolutioners...

1 comment:

S said...

If you are a competitive person, this challenge with your brother will probably help motivate you. Good luck with it!

SEARCH

Google