Thursday, January 8, 2009

Take me back to school!

242.8 (small increase yes, but hey, I did have a few beers last night...)

Is it odd how when you have a plan for your health, a weightloss plan, a work out plan, an overall plan with goals and steps to get there, you feel better already. I mean I've only been back on track 3 days and I know there's no physical evidence yet, but I already feel slimmer, more confident, more motivated, more energized. Funny.

Today I took a new step in my plan to beat my brother's butt - I signed up for a new gym. Well actually it's an old gym - one I used to belong to when I worked at a firm four blocks away, before my days as a prosecutor, but new now, nonetheless. There's a gym in my building but I went in there the other day and realized that it's so small, neglected, etc., that I never go and never feel motivated to go. It's independently owned, so understandably they can't do a lot of renovations or keep the equipment super current. This "new" gym is one I used to go to - it's a chain (LAFitness) and there are like 3 billion locations around Atlanta, actually a brand new one near my office that I didn't even know exsited, that has a pool (very cool). And it's actually cheaper than the independant, in-my-building gym (which I guess shouldn't surprise me).

So I signed up. And I have my gym bag with me. And I'm going to work out tonight on the way home. I asked about personal training prices, and man they're just so damn expensive. I mean $240 a month to get a guy for 30 minutes once a week? And it goes up from there as you can imagine. Ridiculous. The only reason I wanted a personal trainer is to have someone develop a program for me, and keep me motivated. Well I decided to do the next best thing. Right after I signed up for the gym, I headed two blocks down to the Barnes & Noble and bought 2 things -The Body Sculpting Bible for Women and "The Ultimate Workout Logbook". For $40 I get most of what I wanted an instructor for. The bodysculpting book has a program that has me lifting weights 3 days a week, telling me exactly what exercise to do, changing the program every day, and then cycling to a new program every 2 weeks. Ok - so I have my program.

The "logbook" is, believe it or not a good part of my motivation. Let me explain. I've realized that if you want to be successful at something you have to figure out how to utilize your strengths to get it down. Self motivation is not a strength of mine. I'm a lazy bum. If I had the metabolism of my huband or best friend I don't think I'd even know what a "dumb bell" looked like. I'd totally be lazy and live off the benefits of my body's ability to burn the food I ate.

Alas, I don't so I need to find the "strength" that can get me what I want. In yesterday's post I found one - competition. I hate to lose, particularly to my brother, so that will keep me going to some extent. For a while at least. But I need more.

I thought about it today and realized that I need to tie my love for school into this journey. Yes, I do need to keep learning about fitness and nutrition, but what I really mean is I need the structure. One of the things I LOVE about school is its structure. You have a definite beginning - the first day of class - and a definite end - finals, and everything in between is planned out. For many classes you know the first day the assignments you'll have for every subsequent class. You have a plan - a road map.

I like assignments. And I like finite end points and goals.

So this log book and "program" gives me that. I have an assignment. I have to complete a very specific routine three days a week. And my "grade" is based upon my writing it down in my log book.

So where's the definite end? Of course there's not really an END end - I'll be doing this my entire life - but there are mini-ends. First is the first 2 weeks - the "program" has me doing a set routine for 2 weeks, then it changes. Then it's the first 6 weeks - the program gradually intensifies for 6 weeks then you cycle back to the first week's intensity, but with a different routine.

Then there's the running portion. Part of my assignment 3 times a week is to get on the treadmill and do the cardio. The program in the book just calls for 20 mins of cardio - no program for that. That's not good enough for me. For me, I've always measured my success cardiovascularly based upon my running. I've done a marathon, for goodness sake. But today when I jump on that treadmill, honestly I'll be lucky to be able to run a half mile straight without walking. So I need to build that back up. Slowly.

So I'm using the Couchto5K program to get me back in running shape - thus - giving me an assignment for each day. Today I've already written it down on a post-it to take with me to the treadmill. Along with my post-it outlining exactly which weight training exercises to do.

Today is Day 1. And I will get my homework done.

No comments:

SEARCH

Google